About Me Blog

My name is Sarina Vito and I'm from Long Island, New York. I am a strategic communications major. I currently don't have a minor but I have been thinking about minoring in social media marketing. I came to HPU because my best friend, who is one year older than me, goes here and when I visited her freshman year I fell in love. After HPU I'm not entirely sure what I really want to do with my life. I know I wanna move back to New York but I don't really have a set mindset on something specific. When I was 18, I was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia. AML Leukemia is a cancer of the blood and bone marrow meaning I had cancer everywhere in my body. I had to have four rounds of chemotherapy and a life-saving bone marrow transplant. The bone marrow was donated by a stranger in Germany. I had no idea who he was and he had no idea who I was. I wasn't allowed to know who he was because of a certain law that prohibits donors and recipients to have any information on each other for 2 years. My 2 years since transplant was in September so I have been in the process of getting in contact with him. Because of my diagnosis, I had to defer my acceptance to High Point. I was supposed to start my freshman year in 2017 after graduating high school but instead, I started in 2018. A fun fact is that because of my bone marrow transplant, I now have different DNA. I tried to do the 23 and Me DNA test and it came back inconclusive because it's a mix of my DNA and my donors. Here is a picture of me when I was sick and the bone marrow that was donated to me! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Invention of Motion Pictures

Whats Covered by the First Amendment and What Isn't

Covid 19 & Social Media